lundi 2 février 2009

January 17th - Ajmer (Moinuddin Chisti)

We left very early for Ajmer that day. We were already rather sad to say goodbye to our host in Delhi, only to find out that we would have the chance of meeting Mukesh for Amartithi a few days later!

Photobucket

We got on the bus to the train station, awaiting for dawn, singing...



This is not a bus back from a night club. The singing helped staying somewhat awake.
We finally made it on the train. We were very tired but also enjoyed the view...



PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket






Once in Ajmer, we began sightseeing immediately to me as the scenes from the city were so dramatic. Our main focus of the day was to go to Moinuddin Chisti’s Tomb in which we received an outstanding welcome in that great place. As I have already said to some of the group, my personal welcome went slightly too far with one of our host...
-Aurélien





The most intense memory I have in the place was when we sat to listen to some music right outside the tomb. I really felt something big in my heart for many reasons but especially because of the look the people had around us. Especially the teenagers and young adults. While I usually see looks of covet, despise or judgment in the West among those around my age, I was really touched to see how they were so touched and impress to see 50 western whites coming in their holy place and listen to music as they did.
I remember seeing mobile phones used as cameras on us and as ridiculous as it may seem, this very detail meant a lot to me. It meant that our presence really meant something important to them and this is, I believe, one of the key elements of this pilgrimage: showing the locals than we do not consider their beliefs inferior or worthless, we come to see them and try to respect their worhsip the best we can and blend in with them. In other words, we show than the oneness we saught was no science-fiction.

I've been telling that story often in France since I've been back because it's very symbolic to me, just to think about it: 50 Western whites blending in with the locals in a Mosque. How unlikely to western standards and our mainstream belief systems. This was exactly when the message of our pilgrimage traveled down from my brain to my heart. I knew what we came to do but this time around, I unequivocally felt we did it. As a musician myself, maybe the experience was intensified by the passion they put in their playing and singing that transported me, but I felt something huge was taking place right in front of my eyes.
-Aurélien


A little rickshaw ride we took to go to the hotel for dinner. We needed our dose of thrill
and adrenaline before eating...


-Aurélien

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire